Thursday, August 28, 2008

Loyalties

Ok. Let's go ahead and put it out there so there's no confusion.

I'm a little worried about something. I'm afraid I'm about to be labeled a "fairweather fan" as I continue to root for the Chicago Cubs. Now that they sit atop the Central Division--and in fact the entire National League-- going into the final stretch (29 games) of the regular season, I'm balancing a nervous excitement about the possibility of making the World Series with a deep dread that something bad is going to happen. We, Cubs fans, hold our breath at the very notion of success. But please don't think that just because they are doing well this year that I'm jumping on with the bandwagon. Here's the history. Just about all my friends who are my age are either Atlanta Braves fans or Cubs fans (and consequently hate the other team). It's a result of limited TV programming in Kentucky in the 1980's really. Either you watched TBS and the Braves or WGN and the Cubs. The Reds weren't on TV so not many people rooted for them. In 1992, I talked my parents into taking our summer vacation to Chicago so that I could "look at potential colleges." Yeah, right-- Wrigley Field, baby! So I'm a fan of the Cubs and greats such as Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Harry Caray, Andre Dawson, Sammy Sosa, and Moises Alou (despite the 2003 Bartman foul ball situation). I still can't forgive Greg Maddux for going to the Braves in 1993 (even though he eventually came back to the Cubs in '04). And I'm proud of the team we have put together with Zambrano, Soriano, Woods, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, and Edmonds. Strong. I have loved and angonized with the Cubs for many years now. I'm looking forward to an exciting/ heartbreaking October!

And just so it's known and out there...
1. College basketball: University of Kentucky (1998 alumni) 2. Amercian League baseball: Cleveland Indians (born in and family from northern Ohio) 3. NFL football: Cleveland Browns 4. NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers (old school logo!) 5. College Football: THE Ohio State Buckeyes (and also Kentucky)

1 comment:

tim said...

With college football starting tonight and NFL on its way, and meaningful baseball being played, this is the BEST time of the year!