Friday, August 8, 2008

Ben's first day of elementary school

This morning I dropped off Ben for his first day of Kindergarten. Yes, I knew it was coming, but I can't get over the feeling that our family has just crossed over into a whole new stage of life.

I'm not sure why this feels so big. I mean, after all, Ben's only going half a day. And he already had the experience of attending preschool last year three days a week... but that was just right next door to my office. And in comparison to the hugeness of the adoption, this seems like it should be tiny. But it's not. He started school!

Ben has got a real thirst for learning right now. Of course, he knows all the basic stuff. On top of that, his coloring, writing and addition are really coming along. But I'm completely amazed by his ability to read so well already. He is constantly taking on new books and more and more words. For example, he read the back of my Fall Break mission trip shirt last night: "I was in prison and you came to visit me... whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." And he's just starting Kindergarten!! Ben is ready; it's just me who's not.

So, this morning, we got up (while it was still dark) and got ready for school. Last year I took Ben out to breakfast before his first day, so we decided to keep the tradition alive. We headed over to McDonalds (which he asked on the way to school why McDonalds didn't have an "a" between the "m" and "c"... he's so smart!) and both ordered the cinnamon melts and an orange juice. There we enjoyed a breakfast, eye to eye and knee to knee.

Later as we walked into the elementary school, I couldn't stop thinking about how big he was and how proud I am of him. I don't know how I ever got so lucky as to have such a wonderful little boy... (*cough, cough*) I mean, young man.

No comments: