Friday, December 5, 2008

t-shirt time

2008-- "Love Wins"
"We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us." 1 John 3:16

2007--"Becoming"
"Don't worry about your youth. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity." 1 Timothy 4:12


It's that time of year again. Time to come up with a youth group theme, Scripture and t-shirt design for the new year.

Shortly after I came to the church in 2006, I promoted t-shirts for the youth group to begin in some small way the process of developing cohesiveness. I think maybe (at least subconsciously) it helps teenagers feel like they belong, that they know the direction/ theme of the group, and that it helps them have a way to let their friends know that their church is important to them.

I've really liked the first two years we've done this (see above), but I'm still praying and searching for a direction for this year. I've already had some good input from some of the teenagers about what they'd like to see.

I think it's also nice for the youth to have something like a t-shirt to help reminisce about some great times or to remember some awesome things God did in their lives. That's the way it is for me, at least. I have to admit I love my old t-shirts. For the longest time, I held on to old t-shirts from high school and youth group until they were falling apart. I still occasionally sport a Kentucky BSU shirt or a FCA ultimate frisbee shirt. Sometimes when I look at an old t-shirt, I think of some of the best times of my life.

p.s. I'm grateful to Hands On Originals t-shirt company for some great help putting together some fun t-shirts and designs over the years.

No comments: