Friday, January 26, 2007

Stress

Someone recently said to me that buying a house ranked third as the most stressful events in a person's life-- after the death of a child and the death of a spouse. More than changing jobs, getting married, serious injuries, graduating from school, etc. It's probably no coincidence that I'm now reading my second book in a row related to the topic of stress. The first one, "What Matters Most," by Doug Fields was specifically for youth workers to be encouraged to pay attention to the warning signs of busyness and to be able to say "yes" to the things that matter most and learning to say "no" to more busyness. The one I'm reading now, "The Rest of God," by Mark Buchanan talks about restoring sabbath--the rest of God--into my life.

I have a lot to learn. Lord, help me say "no" to my own need to be busy and free me from my stress... so that I can embrace more of You.

No comments: