Tuesday, October 13, 2009

More "24 things I've learned about my daughter"

Last year after the first week with Kate Nana, I posted a list of 24 things I learned about my daughter. Since today is the one-year anniversary of her adoption, a.k.a. "gotcha day," I thought I would add to the list what I've learned.
  1. She is even more absolutely perfect-er (cf. last year's #1).
  2. She is brilliant. Watching her play, interact, sign and learn new things, I'm convinced she's a genius.
  3. She is now an incurable "mama's girl." The first several weeks of her new life with us, she was the ultimate daddy's girl, never wanting to leave my arms. But coming home and with me going back to work during the day, she soon attached herself to Amy and now has an unmistakable preference for her mom. (It's okay though, I'm learning to deal with it and am waiting a few years until she reverts back to daddy's little girl.)
  4. She's a feisty, independent woman. Kate loves to do things on her own. "I do it," she says.
  5. She loves to do whatever her brothers are doing, including playing trucks, screaming at the top of her lungs, or wrestling as pretend superheroes.
  6. She won't wear hair bows or barrettes, so we're forced to cut her bangs (which kills me). Sometimes she'll let us put her hair up in pig tails.
  7. She can get her feelings hurt pretty easy when you tell her "no."
  8. She is quite athletic... she's maybe the best of the three kids at soccer!
  9. She is very excited about starting preschool in two weeks. She talks about it non-stop.
  10. She is potty trained... mostly.
  11. She loves houseboats, pools, and "baybing soos" (bathing suits).
  12. She likes to eat treats (ice cream, candy, gum, milkshakes, "emmies"-M&Ms) and meat (hotdogs, chicken, bologna), but mostly just stares at fruits and veggies (though she likes lima beans and asparagus most of the time).
  13. She loves to talk on the phone... which is funny because very few of us can understand her, especially when she gets to rattling off some big story.
  14. Like most women, she changes her mind early and often.
  15. She sings like an angel. Part of our nighttime singing ritual usually includes "The B-I-B-L-E" and "Jesus Loves Me."
  16. She is getting more and more used to her reconstructed palate and learning to make lots of new sounds and funny faces with her mouth :) And her ear tubes have worked wonderful so far to keep away earaches. We're still hopeful that she'll eventually have full hearing in both ears.
  17. She is ticklish everywhere and has a contagious laugh, along with the most beautiful smile... careful, it will melt you!
  18. She doesn't seem to have many of those tearful "grieving moments" anymore... though she still requires one of us to stay by her room until she falls asleep each night.
  19. She loves to "help." Whatever it is, she wants to be in on it with the excuse "I want to help!"
  20. She likes to wear dresses, tights and anything pink... or with Spiderman on it!
  21. She is growing very big and tall. It's hard to believe she'll be 3 years old soon!
  22. She likes to go on trips and doesn't like to be left home when anyone is going out.
  23. She's still very hot-natured... it's funny how easily she works up a good sweat.
  24. And she's still much more wonderful than I deserve!!!! I'm so thankful to be her dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are so lucky to have her in our family. we love her to pieces and she is a joy to be around

love aunt wendi

Unknown said...

Tim - What a wonderful way to honor her and love her. She deserves wonderful parents that love her and you deserve a beautiful little girl to love as well. You made me tear-up. I need to sit down with Doug and do the same thing for Hailey. Hope to see you all soon.
- Traci